Friday, October 21, 2005

Um. What?

There are some people in this world who should not be allowed to procreate, lest they pass on their extreme idiocy on to their poor, unsuspecting children. One such person is the delivery man that I dealt with today.

We get a lot of deliveries to our office here in town. Mostly, the office administrator deals with them, but when she's on lunch they fall to me, largely because my desk is the next closest one to the front door. So, usually when someone pulls up in a delivery truck and grumbles "sign", I think nothing of it.

Today, a truck pulls up into the parking lot and the driver jumps out. I should have known that he would be a problem as soon as he walked into the office, saw I was on the phone, and started talking to me anyway. So he goes back to his truck to unload his cargo, and then comes back to me for a signature. Since I cannot see the front area from my desk, I make the assumption that "delivery" includes bringing said cargo *inside* the office.

Boy was I wrong.

When I hear the customary "have a nice weekend!" shouted through the front door, I return it from my desk, however my usual curiousity gets the better of me and I go to see what we got.




It seems that the delivery has been left in the parking lot. "That's odd," I think. Now I know that the boxes are on a skid (palette) which means they were on a dolly, and there is a curb in the way, but at each end of the strip mall - and in plain sight, I might add - the sidewalk is wheelchair/stroller/delivery dolly accessible.

Since this guy has long since gone, I figure that I'll have to bring the boxes in myself...the guys in the office are on a conference call, and I figure they can't be too heavy. Besides, I'm tough...

Just in case you can't read that, here is a close-up:


That's right. The delivery driver left a 722 lb. box in the parking lot for us to deal with, because he couldn't find his way up the ramp at the end of the sidewalk.

Long story short, there was much yelling and swearing at the delivery company by our Project Manager, but we ended up (and by "we" I mean, 5 of us) managing to get the boxes inside.

But seriously, who does that?!? If the office wasn't chock full of burly construction men at the time, somebody would have been spending the weekend baby-sitting the several thousand dollars worth of transmission equipment sitting in the parking lot of a strip mall until a forklift had shown up.

Idiot!




Liberated at 4:54 p.m.

|
template © elementopia | image © istockphoto Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter
This blog originates in Edmonton, in the wasteland that is Alberta, in the Great White North.

uncharted@gmail.com


What's Goin' On?
Geek v. Geek
Pundit-palooza
The Blog Routine (Anony-blogs)
Blogging All
Around Me...
Wasting Time?
Provincial Election Perversity
Thinking Not
Required
Spare Change?
Self-Discovery
Archives