Wednesday, August 31, 2005

G-town lovin'

My little G-town adventure and I are in the midst of a little love-in, and I felt the need to tout a few of the good things of my small town journey...
  1. The stars - I can actually see them, which is certainly a welcome change.
  2. Water - It's such a shock to be driving along, and suddenly see huge expanses of water. Despite the constant, armpit-ish feeling of the humidity, I love being on the lake, and the view of the harbour out my window is pretty incredible.
  3. New cars/Singing at the top of my lungs in the car - When I lived at home, my car was my refuge. I took long drives to decompress; I took long drives to think; I took long drives for the heck of it. I knew that I missed driving when I was in Edmonton, but I didn't realize quite how much I missed it until I picked up the habit again.
  4. The deer family who lives in my yard - 'nuff said.
  5. The people - I have been lucky enough to be adopted into a group of people my age (who very well could be the *only* people around here my age), and I've been having a blast going on road trips, crashing Stag'n'Does (don't ask!), and occupying the patio of the only bar in town (literally).
  6. Weekend road trips - one of the major advantages of being here in G-town with a car is that fact that pretty much any weekend destination is no more than three hours away. Also of advantage is the fact that Pearson, and all of it's supremely cheap airfares, is so close at hand.
  7. Radio - I'm not quite sure why, but I've been listening to a lot more radio here than I have in years. In all likelihood, it's a result of #3 and also the preference of the drivers that I spent most of my time zooming around Edmonton with. I will note, however, that there is a surprising amount of Nirvana still played on the radio here...I feel, at times, like I'm back in high school.
  8. Not sitting at a desk all day - I was beginning to have my doubts in Edmonton as to whether CubicleLife was for me. Not only has my work turned out to be extremely rewarding, but I've been having a great time doing it.
  9. Reading before bed - For the first time in 15 or so years, I don't have a TV in my bedroom. This has caused me to pick up a habit of my childhood...reading each night before I go to sleep. I'm seriously considering throwing out my bedroom TV when I get back home.
  10. Freedom - what started out as an rather unexpected and unwelcome "temporary relocation" has turned into quite the life-changing event. Perspectives have changed, career paths have changed, goals have changed. It's all been a bit traumatic, but it couldn't have turned out any better.
Yep. Happy hump day, all!

Liberated at 11:13 p.m.

|
template © elementopia | image © istockphoto Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter
This blog originates in Edmonton, in the wasteland that is Alberta, in the Great White North.

uncharted@gmail.com


What's Goin' On?
Geek v. Geek
Pundit-palooza
The Blog Routine (Anony-blogs)
Blogging All
Around Me...
Wasting Time?
Provincial Election Perversity
Thinking Not
Required
Spare Change?
Self-Discovery
Archives