Tuesday, October 26, 2004

A massive inferiority complex

I remember that one of the first things that struck me as odd when I moved to Edmonton was the hatred that Edmontonians seemed to harbour for Calgary, and vice-versa. Having come from the only prairie province without 'twin cities' (Vancouver & Victoria, Calgary & Edmonton, Regina & Saskatoon, Winnipeg & ???), the concept of a rivalry was a new one. I mean, either than Ontario (like every other Canadian), we Winnipeggers really didn't hate anyone...we were "Friendly Manitoba", after all.

So this fascination with Calgary was pretty evident once I'd settled down here...it was like this massive inferiority complex intertwined with a longing to play with the big boys. I wonder if this is why, in my three years in Edmonton, I have only managed to plan a trip down to Calgary once...road-tripping with a friend from Lethbridge and, well, two guys from outside Calgary whom I'd met 10 minutes before we jumped in the car. Now, although I may get stoned and beaten for this...I really enjoyed Calgary. I basked in the shiny newness of it all, and planned on going back for another weekend as soon as I could. That was two years ago.

[Disclaimer: I have made another pass through Calgary during my time as an "Albertan" (ha!), but it was with Mat and Anand...so it really didn't count. We drove straight through to the U of C Council Chambers, stopped at a grocery store on the way out...and that was it. So I'm not counting that one...]

So I discover this morning that plans are in the works for a Calgary outing next week. I'll only be there for the day, and won't really have time to *do* anything either than attend a function...but I'm enthralled by the fact that this isn't any ordinary luncheon - it's a Calgary Luncheon. Ooh! Ahh!

Yes, I'm crazy. I know... Perhaps I'm still getting used to the fact that, unlike the 'Peg, Edmonton isn't so alone in the province? Or maybe I'm just drawn to new places, as always...

...

On a side note, is there anyone out there with carpentry skills? I mean, I can put together IKEA furniture with the best of them...but for some reason on this particular project, I am proving most incompetent. I've been blaming the manufacturer for the fact that nothing seems to be fitting together like it does in the picture...but that can only take me so far...


Liberated at 10:18 a.m.

|
template © elementopia | image © istockphoto Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter
This blog originates in Edmonton, in the wasteland that is Alberta, in the Great White North.

uncharted@gmail.com


What's Goin' On?
Geek v. Geek
Pundit-palooza
The Blog Routine (Anony-blogs)
Blogging All
Around Me...
Wasting Time?
Provincial Election Perversity
Thinking Not
Required
Spare Change?
Self-Discovery
Archives