Wednesday, August 04, 2004

I need...something new...

As long as I can remember, I've always had some sort of hobby or pursuit that I've enjoyed and also been successful at. For the past couple of years, my 'hobby' was being a hack...and now I'm left with quite a void.

So I need to find something new to occupy my time. I do, however, have a few criteria:
  1. It must be something that I will enjoy, and be at least moderately successful at.
  2. It must be fairly inexpensive (i.e. no $1000 golf clubs) and have little in the way of barriers (i.e. no hour-long bus rides to get wherever I need to go).
  3. A bit of a competitive nature would be welcome (though it doesn't necessarily have to be physical).
  4. It must be able to produce some sort of tangible results, such as "I managed to shave three minutes off of my race time" or "I placed first in that choral competition."
  5. It would be preferable if it was something that I could continue after I cease being a U of A student (whenever that may happen...).

If money and accessibility weren't barriers, rowing would be my first pick...but 5:00 am practices and a *really* long walk to get where I need to be rule that out. I've also thought about auditioning for U of A's Concert Choir, and although I would likely do extremely well with this and enjoy it immensely...it's a graded course, and that would likely suck some of the fun out of it. Some other suggestions have been Debate (summarily vetoed) and Kickboxing (a possibility, but I'm afraid that it may require more coordination and stamina than I will ever have).

So I'm looking for suggestions...anything and everything would be appreciated (as long as it doesn't involve hack...).

On a side note - and perhaps this may be fueling requirement #3 - I can't stop reading Nick's blog. I had no idea that scrabble could be so fascinating. For those of you how don't know what I'm talking about, click here.



Liberated at 9:36 a.m.

|
template © elementopia | image © istockphoto Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter
This blog originates in Edmonton, in the wasteland that is Alberta, in the Great White North.

uncharted@gmail.com


What's Goin' On?
Geek v. Geek
Pundit-palooza
The Blog Routine (Anony-blogs)
Blogging All
Around Me...
Wasting Time?
Provincial Election Perversity
Thinking Not
Required
Spare Change?
Self-Discovery
Archives