Friday, May 21, 2004

Nothing like the taste of plastic to keep you goin'

I read an article once about how a week-old water bottle (as in, been used everyday and hasn't been watched) carried enough bacteria to shut down a city's water system...relatively speaking, of course. So being the incredibly responsible person that I am, I decided to go wash out my water bottle this morning, as it's going on at least two weeks with out a wash.

Always being one for extremes, I went to turn on the hot water at the sink and noticed something much more enticing: the hot water feature on the coffee machine. Ooh!, I think. If hot water helps to kill germs, than scalding water much annihilate all germs within a twenty-block radius! I'm so brilliant!

[Now, I know what you're thinking...don't worry, I'm getting there.]

So in goes the scalding hot water into my water bottle. Then in goes my water bottle. Huh? Yes, I admit it. It failed to occur to me that a water bottle - with its ever-so-strong plastic - might not be able to withstand that kind of temperature. We're not talking about a 'real' water bottle here...it's the kind that comes out of a vending machine. So my water bottle starts collapsing inwards. And I stop pouring water.

Now I'm staring at a lopsided, half-shriveled, yet still usable water bottle. My water now tastes like melted plastic, although it doesn't bother me enough to go buy a new water bottle. I wonder if the plastic chemicals that I'm drinking are more harmful that the germs that I was trying to kill...

Liberated at 3:41 p.m.

|
template © elementopia | image © istockphoto Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter
This blog originates in Edmonton, in the wasteland that is Alberta, in the Great White North.

uncharted@gmail.com


What's Goin' On?
Geek v. Geek
Pundit-palooza
The Blog Routine (Anony-blogs)
Blogging All
Around Me...
Wasting Time?
Provincial Election Perversity
Thinking Not
Required
Spare Change?
Self-Discovery
Archives