Thursday, March 11, 2004

I'm a thief!

Yesterday at work, I gave a three hour workshop on Interview Skills. I think it might have been the worst experience of my life. Ever.

Normally, we need at least five people to register before we'll run a workshop. But since this one was the last of its kind of the semester, we went ahead with it anyway. We ended up with 4 international students, none of whom had enough English proficiency to be able to make it through a job interview. Not, make it through a job interview reasonably well, but make it through a job interview period. The Interview Skills workshop has lots of interaction and role-playing built in, but it was like talking to a wall. No matter how many times I tried to repeat something, or speak slower, or explain something differently, it just didn't work. We ended up finishing up almost an hour early (since we couldn't use any of the time set aside for role-playing) and making little, if any, impact.

I felt terrible. I wish I could have given everyone their money back...they just wasted $25 and three hours of their time to listen to me talk about interview skills, but not really understand any of it. I think I finally found a use for those stupid 'Self Reflection Forms' at work.

Liberated at 4:02 p.m.

|
template © elementopia | image © istockphoto Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter
This blog originates in Edmonton, in the wasteland that is Alberta, in the Great White North.

uncharted@gmail.com


What's Goin' On?
Geek v. Geek
Pundit-palooza
The Blog Routine (Anony-blogs)
Blogging All
Around Me...
Wasting Time?
Provincial Election Perversity
Thinking Not
Required
Spare Change?
Self-Discovery
Archives